Essie vs. OPI

In my land of at-home manicures, I have been debating for a long time which nail polish brand is my favorite. Aside from the fact that my nails usually end up looking like I had a blindfold on when I painted them, I generally end up pretty satisfied with my at-home manicures.

I never really put a ton of time or effort into my nails. I clip them, and every now and then I clip the cuticles using some really small scissors. Other than that, I just paint them. No filing or special treatment.

I am also really, really rough on my hands and nails. If I had to guess, that is directly related to my clumsiness. I am always running into doors, hitting my hands on things, getting my fingers stuck between doors, etc.

When I first discovered OPI nail polish, I swore by it. I discovered it right after Mr. D and I got engaged, and I got a manicure so that I could show off my new bling. I used OPI “Bubble Bath” and loved it. I bought a bottle, and it was my go-to polish for a long time.

OPI Bubble Bath via

Then, I stumbled upon Essie nail polish. I was confident that nothing would beat my love for OPI but I decided to give it a try.

I have to say that I was surprised by the result. While I still love OPI, I have found that for me, two coats of Essie lasts longer than two coats of OPI. I never use any base coat or top coat. But with all of my clumsiness and as rough as I am on my hands, two coats of Essie will usually get me through a full work week, if not a full seven days. OPI would get me through maybe three or four days.

My favorite Essie color so far has been “Ballet Slippers” – but I also love “Rock Candy” and “East Hampton Cottage.” I’m definitely a nude/light pink nail girl.

Essie Ballet Slippers via
What is your favorite nail polish color? Are you an Essie or OPI girl?

Comments

1. says

OPI, hands down. I’ve found Essie to be streaky and the brush is too narrow. I can go chip free with OPI for well over a week, especially on slower growing toenails, and I work with my hands!

2. says

DEFINITELY essie. I was always an OPI girl, until I saw an Essie color I wanted in CVS. Its not as thick and goes on a lot easier than OPI. Essie girl forever

3. says

I’ve always been an OPI girl. Bubble Bath is one my favorites, though I tend to go more dramatic on my toes…but that Essie color looks great and I have the same problem with being hard on my nails, so I may just have to give it a try! :)

4. says

I love your blog! I’m surprised I haven’t found it sooner. I will have to say even though I have heard great things about essie, I still always go for the OPI when I’m getting a manicure or buying polish. However, after reading your post I’m more inclined to reach for the Essie now.

5. says

Ooh, it’s hard for me to pick a favorite brand of nail polish…I have so many that I like. I am a big fan of Essie, and I actually really love most of the Sally Hansen polishes as well, especially the strengthening ones! I usually only wear sheer/nude/neutral colors on my hands…I’m totally with you! I always end up chipping them in some way, and at least with the light colors it isn’t as noticeable!

• says

I didn’t realize that they made the cute ltilte bottle set. I only like the pink color but I never use up a full bottle of nail polish anyways so it would be good to get the set.

6. says

I’m new to your blog and I LOVE how bright and clean it is. I’m an OPI girl! I actually finally tried Essie and I used 2 coats AND a top coat and it literally chipped in 1 day!! I’m a nurse and I wash my hands a lot, so maybe that’s why. The next thing I want to try is the Shellac…I just don’t wanna pay $30! Haha.

• says

kristinaAugust 20, 2012You can buy it many places onilne. Click on the first link in the sidebar under New to Stamping? and there are direct links to sellers on Amazon.